Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Halfway Done and New Companion!

Mom notes: Brooklyn sent me an email and mentioned she wouldn't have time to write a general email this week because they were leaving soon to go to the Mall of America. (This will be her second time going, since she went with another one of her companions) Her mission president allows them to take a trip there before they leave the mission. Her companion, Sister Fine, will be leaving next transfer and I wonder if they are feeling they should go now, just in case their next mission president (who starts on July 1st) changes the policy! hahaha

So, I will update a little on what she told me was going on.

This week is her halfway mark. She entered the MTC on September 14 and since sisters serve for 18 months, June 14th is the middle of her mission. My sweet friend, Stacie Sheehy, gave me a missionary countdown last week. We joke about having a "Brooklyn shrine" in our family room, and I added the countdown to it! I sent this picture to Brooklyn and she said, "Ugh, don't show me that!!!" I asked her why and she said "It's too soon, I want it to be longer!"

She's been busy giving haircuts to some of the girls. In Karen culture they prefer long hair. In fact when Brooklyn cut her hair recently, a couple of the ladies told her it was ugly! 
Looks like the younger girls are deciding it might be fun (and better with the lice situation) to have shorter hair.
 Here's how this one turned out!

Even though she is slightly allergic to cats, she still chooses to cuddle and love them every chance she gets. She says it's the closest she can get to holding babies with the mission rules.

President Forbes told them it's important for them to find things to relieve stress. So Brooklyn has started a little herb garden. She's very excited that it's actually growing! Her creative containers crack me up!

They have been enjoying lots of BBQ now that the weather is warm.

I'm not sure when they did the following things because she didn't give me details, but she had the chance to go to a free zoo and some Asian temples in the area last week.



Brooklyn's new companion for the next 10 months joined them last Tuesday. (She's the one on the right in the picture below) President Forbes wanted to bring her in before the regular transfer this week. Sister Fine, Brooklyn and Sister Hicks will work together for the next 6 weeks. Then Sister Fine will go home and they will go back to a regular companionship. Sister Makenna Hicks is from Gilbert, Arizona. She's been out for 3 months. Brooklyn has already said she loves her and they have a lot in common. I think she's excited to work with her. It will be fun to hear how their language study is progressing. 
Here's another picture of the new tri-companionship at the Mall of America together. (I told Brooklyn not to lose her name tag this time!) 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your comments, Debbie. It is clearly evident Brooklyn is using her time wisely and loves those she serves. May God continue to bless her.

    ReplyDelete