Tuesday, August 29, 2017

State fair!

We don't have much time to email today because we have been at the second largest state fair in the country all day! It was really busy and reallllly fun! (I asked Brooklyn what the temperature was because in Utah it's been in the high 90's, she said it was only in the 70's so it was really comfortable.)

I just want to tell a quick story that made my week! On Friday we got a call from an unknown number and when I answered they said, "Paw Ghay Moo?" Which was Sister Fine's Karen name so I said, "No this is Cha Moo Paw." And she said, "Oh, Cha Moo Paw. Can you come visit me tomorrow?" And she just gave me her address. I got off of the phone and had no idea who it was. So the next day we go over and knock on her door and this super cute lady opens the door and tells us to come in. We sit down and make some small talk but we still had no idea who she was. We just rolled with it though and taught a simple lesson about prophets. She had really good comments and answers to our questions and so did her husband. They have 4 little kids as well. A 5 year old boy, twin 3 year old boys, and a 1 year old little girl. So cute! As we were teaching the spirit was so strong and I just felt a really strong love for this family. After the lesson she told us that Sister Fine and I talked to her in a Karen store when Sister Fine was looking for a Karen jacket. The store didn't have any, but this lady, Eh Hso told us that if we gave her our number she would call us because she knew someone who made them. We gave her our number 4 months ago! Then she just asked us where our church was and told us she was going to come on Sunday. Sure enough, she came and brought her kids to church yesterday! We feel like this family has been so prepared for the gospel and we are so excited to see how everything goes with them!

Sorry I don't have time to write more, but I love you all, I love being a missionary, and I love this gospel so much! 

Sister Ching--(a past companion), Sister Rosier, Sister Hicks and Brooklyn


One of Brooklyn's favorite treats is her Grandma Hermansen's yummy chocolate chip cookies. Looks like they found the next best thing! (I'll bet they weren't as good as Grandma's, though!)

After the Chicken Feet Soup last week, she sent me a picture of really good soup! Moo Eh Wah made it. She said they had to eat it really fast because they only had 15 minutes before they had to be somewhere and it was boiling hot so they couldn't enjoy it! hahaha  
I told her she needs to learn how to make the yummy things she tries and make them for us when she comes home! 

I told Brooklyn about hurricane Harvey in Texas. Her cousin Jacob Hanchett is serving a mission in Houston right now. She said that's crazy about the hurricane and all the flooding and she hasn't heard anything about them. She said they don't hear much about world events because everyone they talk to is Karen and they don't pay attention to the news! We are keeping all the missionaries in our prayers, especially those involved with this disaster! 

So while I have been updating this blog, I've been thinking about Brooklyn and wondering if she would get to do anything special for her twentieth birthday. I know it's not the most important thing on her mission, but as a mother I'd like her to have a good day and I feel a little sad that we can't celebrate together. No kidding, while I was thinking about this I got a ping on my phone saying I had a text. It was a sweet member of her ward sending me a couple of pictures and telling me that they were having a little early birthday celebration with Brooklyn and that she is doing great! She also told me she gave Brooklyn a big birthday hug! Seeing her happy face is a huge blessing for me this week!


Oh my word....I was just about to finish this when I got a private message on FB and felt prompted to open it, even though I didn't know who it was from. This is what it said:

"Sister Hermansen, I'm the ward mission leader in the North St. Paul Ward and thought I'd drop you a note to express how much we love and appreciate your daughter and the service she is rendering here. Sister Hermansen is such a great missionary! She has such a fun spirit and bright attitude and is so loved by the Karen people she and Sister Hicks serve. (BTW, I've never seen two sister missionaries get along so well--if you're hearing something different, she is also an Oscar candidate. They work so well together.) I have been with them on several teaching occasions and am so impressed by how Sister Hermansen handles herself. She has a strong testimony and is an excellent teacher! If she ever pursued that as a profession, she would excel. I would want my children taught by her. She is truly a delight. Please pass along our sincere thanks to your family for your sacrifice in giving her to Minnesota for 18 months. We feel so lucky that we get to keep the Karen missionaries here in our ward so long. She is making the very most of every minute." ---Bruce Richardson

And that is why we know what Brooklyn is doing is worth every minute she is away from our family and her own personal pursuits! The gospel is true and the Lord knows exactly where our daughter is needed and where her talents can best be used with her sweet companion!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heart is so happy to hear that about Sister Hermansen. I knew from previous comments, but this is icing on the cake for sure. Our Heavenly Father is blessing her so much. Mommy and Daddy must be so proud of her selfless service. You raised a beautiful daughter inside and out. She looks radient!

    ReplyDelete