Wednesday, August 16, 2017

"Thank you for... the bathroom...?"

This week Sister Hicks was saying a prayer before going into a lesson and in it she said, "Buh si blu ba nah luh... dah ha law....wait dah ha law means miracles right?" Well dah ha law doesn't mean miracles haha it means "bathroom" She meant to say "dah law la" which means miracles. I had a good laugh about it. haha 

Heavenly Father has been blessing us so much this week. It started out as a rough week with our confidence in our language skills pretty low and our spirits down, but we have seen blessing after blessing. From getting random letters and packages on the hardest days, to God putting people in our path to teach and giving us the words we need to teach them, we are feeling God's love and awareness for us so much! Thank you to those people who sent packages and letters that brightened our days!

Yesterday we knocked on an investigator who we haven't taught in a few month's door and a random kid answered the door and didn't know who we were talking about. So we decided to knock on a different door to try to find new people to teach. We walked around for a minute then picked one to knock on, and guess who was there. Our old investigator we were looking for. Apparently she moved a few minutes away, but her daughter moved into the apartment we knocked on and she was visiting. We taught her and a few of her adult children and now have a few new investigators from that! I know God helped us find her again! 

This week I have been so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the things it teaches us. Because the Book of Mormon hasn't been translated into Karen, we got approval to go through the Book of Mormon and pick chapters and verses that we feel have important doctrine taught only in the Book of Mormon, and translate them into Karen so we can use them to teach. As I have been trying to translate some verses, the importance of the Book of Mormon has become so much more real to me. I know the Book of Mormon is true and we will get closer to God as we read it and apply its doctrines to our life. This experience of working with people who want to read the Book of Mormon, but can't, has helped me never want to take the Book of Mormon for granted. I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon!  (We've heard that someone in the Salt Lake Karen Branch is working on translating the Book of Mormon but it will take a long time. I know it's been so frustrating to Brooklyn not being able to have it or normal missionary resources to use while teaching. Makes me realize how much I take it for granted! Brooklyn has helped me realize I need to do better with my scripture study and appreciate it more than I do!)


Moo Eh Wah barbecued for all of us! All I can say is so. much. meat. 
Also a sweet lady named Mu Buh (I think she is Bleh Paw's mom) gave Sister Hicks and I the shakas we are wearing! (I've asked Brooklyn about the gifts they are given. She said that these people don't have a lot of money and shouldn't be giving them anything, but they are so humble and kind. It's their way of showing them they love and appreciate them. It would probably be offensive if they didn't accept the gifts!)

And here's a picture from a Karen market. As far as I know she still hasn't seen porcupine in a market!

I did a little digging this week asking Brooklyn about some ward members. She told me her ward had a Facebook group. Whaaaat??? Why am I just now finding out about this!!! haha  It's run by the ward mission leader, Bruce Richardson and he's great at posting photos of ward activities. They look like an awesome ward and very united with the refugees. It was fun to look through them and find a few pictures of my favorite missionary! 
 She's totally in her element in these pictures with children! I know she misses all her nieces!
 I told her this one was cute and she said those little kids were trashing her! hahaha 
I love how happy she looks!


 This was an older activity because Sister Fine is still with them. I asked her if they were teaching, she said they were actually singing together.
Looks like Sister Fine has an admirer! haha 

I grabbed a screen shot of a video of them singing at a zone conference luncheon last week at the Oakdale Chapel (next to the Temple). It's a little blurry but it was fun hearing them all singing "The Armies of Helaman" song to thank those who made them lunch.

Two more weeks till her birthday and two more weeks after that she hits her one year mark--hard to believe how close she is to being gone for a year already!           

No comments:

Post a Comment