Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Thra-Mu!

Good morning! It's been another good week in Karenland! Since Sister Fine left, my language skills have already increased sooo much. This week I was really able to see the hand of God in our work. There were so many times when we were teaching things I didn't know or think we could teach, but Heavenly Father is helping us out so much!

This scripture in 1 Nephi 17:3 has helped me a lot: 
3 And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness.

This is one of my favorite scriptures. It gives me comfort to know that any time God asks us to do something, He will always help us accomplish it. As long as we are trying to live our lives according to His commandments, we are promised this. No matter how big or how small that task is. i.e. Reading scriptures every day, going to church every Sunday, learning a new language, or even building a ship like Nephi was asked to do in the story. He will always provide. (Brooklyn told me that she was able to translate for one of the sweetest Karen lady's patriarchal blessing interview and how cool that was. I know these experiences are giving her more confidence each day in the language. She also said the Elders are wanting to help them in language study groups because none of them have ever had to be on their own this quick. I'm so glad!) 

Last week we had a couple of really cool experiences. One day, a member took us out to lunch.  We pulled up and saw some Karen people, we get out of the car and I hear, "Thra-Mu!" (Which means girl teacher and what most people call us.) I look over and it's one of our old investigators that we found when I first got here and we only taught a couple of times. She ran over to me and gave me a big hug and told us that she wanted to call us but she lost our number! So we gave her our number again and a few days later we go over and she tells us that she's the niece of one of our other investigators that has come to church a lot! It was cool to run into her in an unexpected place and have contact with her again!

One night, we didn't have an appointment so we decided to go to a member's house and visit their family. As we pulled up I felt like we should practice teaching the Restoration lesson in Karen. When we knocked on the door, only the mom and her only child who isn't a member of the church yet were there. Usually when we go over, Bleh Paw, the son goes into the other room and doesn't participate in the lessons. But we walked in and he came and sat right down by us. We were able to teach him the Restoration and he participated and answered all of our questions super well! It was cool too because he thought we were just practicing teaching, but we were actually just teaching him! I'm so grateful Heavenly Father inspired us to go to their house so we had the chance to teach Bleh the Restoration. 

Have a good week! 

Here is a crazy picture for you haha. I love these families!! (Isn't the "artwork" on the walls fun!)

Brooklyn sent the pictures below of a meal with one of their families. They have a sandy area in between their apartments where they can BBQ. I thought it looked good. She said she thought it looked good too, but it wasn't. The texture was sooo bad and they have no idea what it was. They asked them what kind of meat it was and they said, "I don't know how to call in English. It's chicken friend." So any guesses on what "chicken friend" meat could be? Maybe porcupine again???


Cute companions having some serious study time together! 

I told Brooklyn last week she needed to drink more water to help her headaches. Here she is showing me that she's drinking more water! Goofy girl!

Brooklyn's 20th birthday is in a few weeks on August 31st. If any of you would like to send her a birthday card, I know she would love it!!! Missionaries LOVE mail!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder about her birthday coming up. I am so bad with birthday cards now. She is so pretty in all her pictures. I feel bad that some (or all?) the meat is questionable. Does she just try to eat a little? Or politely decline?

    ReplyDelete