Thursday, February 2, 2017

Silly Putty Saves My Life Daily, September 22, 2016

Wowowowow I don't even know where to begin! The MTC is AMAZING! The Spirit is so strong here 24/7. I don't even know how to describe it. It was so sad saying goodbye to my family, but as soon as I walked away from them I was overwhelmed with peace and comfort. We're always so busy here I feel like I don't even have time to think about home. We wake up at 6:30 every morning and are busy doing things until 9:30pm, then we have some time to get ready for bed and write in our journals and stuff. I haven't been able to fall asleep before 11:30 the whole time I've been here. I'm hoping I can get into the schedule soon, but until then, I'll keep using silly putty to keep me awake during our 3 hour block times! (Thanks Marci and Candice for the silly putty) Also thank you to everyone who has sent me letters! It's like Christmas every time we get stuff in the mail!

There's this really cool thing called DearElder.com. Basically you go to the site, click on "write a letter" select the Provo MTC and then put in this information:
Brooklyn Hermansen
2005 North 900 East Unit 114
Provo, UT 84602
Unit Number: 114 Mission Code: MN-MIN Departure Date: Oct 5
The cool thing about DearElder is they will print off your letter and give it to me that day! I looooove getting things in the mail so I would really appreciate those! 

Our P-Day is on Thursdays and since we got here last Wednesday we didn't get a P-Day because it was "too soon" haha so that's why it took a long time for me to write!

My district is amaaaazing. There's 5 Elders, and 5 Sisters. Only one elder in my district is going to Minnesota. The rest are going to Cleveland, Ohio. But lucky for me, all of the sisters except one (One of my companions, Sister Joslin) are going to Minnesota with me. Sister Joslin is going to Ohio with the elders. I have two companions because a girl in my district went home on Monday :( That was such a rollercoaster. She was really homesick and was breaking down multiple times a day. She would be fine for a while saying this is where she needed and wanted to be and then she'd be crying saying she wants to go home. I think it was just too much for her to handle at this time in her life. It was heartbreaking seeing her go through that. But that's how I got my second companion Sister Wilcox. She's fantastic. An elder in my district almost went home on Wednesday as well. About a year ago he came to the MTC to go to Ohio speaking Spanish. The day he got to Ohio he came home for mental health reasons and has been working towards coming back out ever since. He was reassigned to speak English, but he was having some of the same problems. On Tuesday he told us that he had decided to go home and continue his mission by being a service missionary at a place that helps missionaries who return home early. That night we had a devotional and then a devotional review in our classroom after. He told us that he went into the devotional with the very specific question of whether he should continue this mission or go start his service mission. He said that he got a very strong answer to continue this mission as long as he can. Whether it's 2 more weeks or 2 years. He is seriously so amazing. He is so strong and always so in-tune with the Spirit. I'm glad that he decided to stay. 

We taught our first lesson on the second day here, so after 8 days, we're pretty much pros now. lol jk it's still super hard. It's so cool to teach people though. I know that the Spirit helps me so much because words come out of my mouth that I didn't even know I knew! This Gospel is honestly so amazing and I'm so thankful for it in my life. One of our "Investigators" that we teach is from Korea and hardly speaks English.. That's super challenging, but it's giving us some good experience! Before coming out on my mission I had a really hard time reading scriptures and being able to understand them and apply them to my life. Now I absolutely love reading them. My brand new scriptures are already super marked up after only 8 days! I read things that apply to my life and answer my questions every time I pick them up. I had some really cool scriptures that I wanted to include in this email but I accidentally left my notebook back at the room so look for them next week!

Oh! Another cool thing is I got called as Sister Training Leader for our zone (which is made up of 4 districts) I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do yet.. haha we had to do a welcome meeting for the new district in our zone that got here yesterday so that was fun. Some guys in one of the other districts are going to Australia where my dad served his mission, and 6 are going to Hawaii where my brother in law served his mission so that's super cool! 

I don't want to make this email too long so I'll just send a few pictures and wrap it up! I love you all so much and would love to hear from you! I hope you're all doing well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment